Wow, that was quick.
We went from having 14 teams in the “Southern Six” in the state prep football playoffs last week to having just six left when the dust (and in some cases mud) settled late Friday night. Unfortunately, in some cases, Rock’s Locks saw some of that coming and in other cases just simply did not.
Rock’s Locks is still standing tall after a rough week as well, however, as we went 9-5 last week. It marked the first time in almost six weeks we didn’t notch double digits in the win total in our weekly outing. Rock’s Locks stands 119-38 on the season for a winning percentage of almost 77 percent.
At the first day of practice every year, it’s the goal of every coach, player and fan for their team to still have football practice the week of Thanksgiving. So who will earn “another Monday”…???
“Grateful for this sheltered place, with light in every window…saying, “Welcome, welcome, share this feast, come in away from sorrow”
- Pascagoula at Picayune — The Bienville Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Center “Kneed to See” Game of the Week takes place at Lee-Triplett Stadium this week as the Panthers come calling on the Maroon Tide in a rematch from the regular season. This will be Pascagoula’s first trip to Picayune in four seasons, and it marks the third postseason meeting between the two teams in the past 12 years after the teams had never met in the postseason in the first 30 years of the statewide playoff system. Picayune pummelled Pascagoula 51-14 to open. Region 4-6A play on the first Friday in October during a torrential downpour. Can the Panthers find revenge on the road in Pearl River County…??? No. Picayune 28, Pascagoula 20.
- Columbia at Pass Christian — The first-ever appearance in the third round of the South State playoffs for the Pirates takes place this week at McDonald Stadium in the Pass as perennial state power Columbia comes to the coast for the second time this season. The Pirates are 0-3 all-time against the Wildcats, and this is the first meeting between the two teams in 15 years, since 2008. Pass Christian has won more playoff games this season under first-year head coach Jeff Stockstill (2) than the Pirates did in the first 40 years of the statewide playoff system (1). Can the Pirates keep it going against the undefeated Wildcats…??? No. Columbia 30, Pass Christian 19.
- Gautier at Florence — The Gators and the Eagles face off for the first time ever on the football field this week and the match-up comes in the Class 5A South State semifinals. Gautier is looking for its second straight trip to the South State championship game for the first time in history. Can the Gators get there…??? Yes. Gautier 23, Florence 21.
- Poplarville at Lawrence County — The Hornets are looking to earn a trip to the Class 4A South State championship game for the sixth time in seven seasons after missing out last year. Poplarville is a perfect 5-0 all-time against the Cougars. Will the Hornets keep that streak intact and make it back to the Class 4A South State finals…??? Yes. Poplarville 40, Lawrence County 14.
- Resurrection at Velma Jackson — A “Battle amongst Birds” takes place in Camden Friday as the Eagles fly up against the Falcons for the first time ever on the gridiron. VJHS comes in at a perfect 11-0 and the Falcons allowed just 25 points in 10 regular season games. RCS is 9-2 on the season, and the teams have one common opponent in East Marion. The Eagles beat EMHS 28-12 in the regular season and the Falcons beat the 39-0 to open the state playoffs two weeks ago. Can RCS make it to its first Class 1A South State championship game since 2015…??? No. Velma Jackson 31, Resurrection 21.
- Terry at West Jones — The winner of this rematch from the regular season will face the survivor of the Picayune-Pascagoula game in the Class 6A South State finals next week. A second West Jones win over the Bulldogs this yeat gives the Mustangs the home-field advantage in the next round no matter who the opponent is. If Terry, which lost 2-0 to WJHS six weeks ago, can pull off the upset then it would travel to Picayune or host Pascagoula. West Jones 14, Terry 8.
- Brookhaven at Laurel — The winner of this match-up faces the winner of the Gautier-Florence game in the Class 5A South State finals next week. If Florence wins, it will host next week no matter the opponent. Also, Gautier would be on the road next week no matter who wins this game as well. Laurel 37, Brookhaven 16.